COLUMBIA (WACH) — Senator Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) is drawing national attention stemming from controversial comments he made this weekend seemingly calling on Congress to impose limits on free speech.
Graham said on CBS Face the Nation Sunday that the need to protect U.S. servicemembers overseas may justify limiting of political speech at home.
“I wish we could find some way to hold people accountable,” said Graham. “Free speech is a great idea, but we’re in a war. During World War II you had limits on what you could do if it inspired the enemy.”
Graham’s comments follow the burning of a Quran by Florida pastor Terry Jones, who said he organized the burning to “stir the pot.” The burning of the Islam holy book sparked rioting in Afghanistan, where at least seven people had been killed over the weekend as protests erupted again Monday for the fourth straight day.
What do you think about Senator Graham’s comments? Is limiting free expression sometimes justified to protest U.S. troops overseas, or is the Senator’s oath to preserve and protect the Constitution more important? Please leave your comments below.
Watch Sen. Graham’s comments on CBS Face the Nation.
- It Doesn’t Get Any Clearer Than That: “Free speech is a great idea, but we’re in a war” (reason.com)
- Ending America: The Slaughter of Free Speech, Congress to “explore the need to limit some forms of freedom of speech” (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Sen. Lindsey Graham: ‘Freedom Of Speech Is A Great Idea But We’re In A War’ (mediaite.com)
- Muslims kill, US politicians consider limiting Americans free speech (aka sharia) (creepingsharia.wordpress.com)
- “Free Speech Is A Great Idea, But …” (andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com)
- What does flag burning and koran burning have in common? (via The Western Experience) (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Qur’an burning free speech in America? (rt.com)
- “Senate May Investigate Koran Burning, Seek New Limits on Free Speech” and related posts (holycoast.blogspot.com)
- Senator Lindsey Graham loves perpetual war more than freedom of speech (aleksandreia.wordpress.com)
- Lindsey Graham: Congress Should “Reinforce” Patraeus Condemnation Of Koran-Burning Preacher (alan.com)