An immigration enforcement advocacy organization says this week’s ruling from the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals against Arizona’s immigration law encourages the rampant lawlessness of illegal immigrants.
A three-judge panel of the Ninth Circuit recently made a highly politicized decision to uphold the ruling of a federal judge who blocked the provisions of S.B. 1070 that would have allowed law enforcement offers to stop anyone upon “reasonable suspicion” of their legal status. The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) deems this decision a victory for the Obama administration, which had filed a lawsuit to challenge the Arizona law. (See related article)
FAIR spokesman Ira Mehlman says the ruling gives President Barack Obama the power to ignore the will of Congress.
“The decision handed down by the Ninth Circuit is actually in conflict with other circuit court rulings,” Mehlman points out. “So this is something that’s ultimately going to have to be resolved by the U.S. Supreme Court, and should be sooner rather than later. But in the meantime, it is disappointing. Essentially what the Ninth Circuit said is that the administration has unlimited discretion [on] how to enforce our immigration laws, or even whether to enforce our immigration laws — and that the intent of Congress really is irrelevant.”
He concludes that “the administration’s lawsuit against Arizona was never about constitutional issues; it was about the administration’s political objective.”
However, the FAIR spokesman says the Constitution is clear on the fact that immigration laws are made by Congress and that it is the executive branch’s duty to carry out those out.
- Ninth Circuit Upholds Injunction Against Arizona Immigration Law (tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com)
- Appeals court blocks Arizona immigration law (sfgate.com)
- Ruling against Arizona immigration law upheld (sfgate.com)
- Court Freezes Immigration Law (online.wsj.com)
- Federal court guts Ariz. immigration law… (abcnews.go.com)
- US court upholds freeze on Arizona immigration law (alternet.org)
- Federal Appeals Court Upholds Injunction Against Arizona Immigration Law (outsidethebeltway.com)
- SB 1070: Ninth Circuit blocks portion of Arizona’s racial profiling law (dailykos.com)
- Bill Ong Hing: Undocumented Immigrants: Give Them a Parade, Not SB 1070 (huffingtonpost.com)
- Circuit Court Rules Against Arizona Immigration Law (onebluestocking.wordpress.com)