MI6 has warned that Britain faces a “unique” threat from a generation of home-grown terrorists who are not on the intelligence services’ “radar”, secret documents have disclosed.
British-born radicals who undergo terrorist training and become “suicide operatives” will leave the authorities “hard pressed” to prevent an attack, according to a top counterterrorism official at the Secret Intelligence Service. The problem of home-grown terrorists is officially expected to blight Britain for years to come and “will not go away anytime soon”. The warning was sounded in a private briefing from a senior MI6 official to visiting American Congressmen amid growing US fears over the radicalisation of young British Muslims.
The leaked documents also highlight American government concerns that the British intelligence services are struggling to combat Muslim extremists because of budget cuts and a wave of lawsuits from terror suspects. William Hague, the Foreign Secretary, announced further cuts to the counter-terrorism budget earlier this week.
- WikiLeaks cables: MI6 warns of new suicide bomb wave (telegraph.co.uk)
- WikiLeaks cables: British Muslims travelling to Somalia for ‘jihadi tourism’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- Vancouver Startup helps WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange pay legal expenses (techvibes.com)
- WikiLeaks cables: The British counter-terror programme that ‘fails to stop extremists’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- WikiLeaks: terrorists ‘plan to use teddy bear bombs to blow up planes’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- Qatari men may have coordinated with 9/11 terrorists: WikiLeaks cable – Christian Science Monitor (news.google.com)
- WikiLeaks: Al Qaeda ‘dirty’ bomb plan puts world ‘on brink of nuclear 9/11’ (dailymail.co.uk)
- WikiLeaks: How US political invective turned on ‘anti-American’ Julian Assange (guardian.co.uk)
- MI6 spy chief says ‘secrecy is not a dirty word’ (ctv.ca)
- WikiLeaks: Tunisia knew its rulers were debauched. But leaks still had impact (guardian.co.uk)