The United States threatened to take military action against China during a secret “star wars” arms race within the past few years, according to leaked documents obtained by The Daily Telegraph.
The two nuclear superpowers both shot down their own satellites using sophisticated missiles in separate show of strength, the files suggest. The American Government was so incensed by Chinese actions in space that it privately warned Beijing it would face military action if it did not desist. The Chinese carried out further tests as recently as last year, however, leading to further protests from Hillary Clinton, the US Secretary of State, secret documents show.
Beijing justified its actions by accusing the Americans of developing an “offensive” laser weapon system that would have the capability of destroying missiles before they left enemy territory.
The disclosures are contained in the latest documents obtained by the Wikileaks website, which have been released to The Telegraph. They detail the private fears of both superpowers as they sought mastery of the new military frontier.
- “WikiLeaks: US and China in Military Standoff over Space Missiles” and related posts (chinadigitaltimes.net)
- WikiLeaks: US threatened military action against China over space arms race (dailymail.co.uk)
- WikiLeaks: US and China in military standoff over space missiles (telegraph.co.uk)
- WikiLeaks: timeline of the space race (telegraph.co.uk)
- WikiLeaks Cables Suggest U.S.-China Space Weapons Race (space.com)
- ¿We reserve the right to take military action¿: U.S. warned China over space missile tests (dailymail.co.uk)
- US and China launched space weapon tests: documents (alternet.org)
- WikiLeaks: US vs China in battle of the anti-satellite space weapons (telegraph.co.uk)
- US Threatened to Attack China Over Space Weapons (newser.com)
- WikiLeaks: the race to take control of space (telegraph.co.uk)